Nylabone Warning: Are Nylabone Chew Toys Safe For Dogs?
I was rushing my dog to the emergency veterinarian. All I knew is that she had ingested part of her Nylabone chew toy. I just wanted her to feel better. Was it as simple as letting it pass through her? Did she need medication? Surgery? I had no idea what was in store for us.
Have you ever found yourself in a similar situation? This has not actually happened to me but many pet owners have. These accidents are creating concern about these treats and toys, prompting pet owners to ask a lot more questions.: Are Nylabones safe for dogs? When should you throw them away? What happens if they chew some of it off? We’ll answer these questions and tell you about some of the Nylabone warnings that you should be aware of.
Nylabone Non-Edible Chew Disclaimer
Before diving in too deep on this subject we want you to read a disclaimer that Nylabone has on their non-edible chews. It is important to read the warnings for any toy or chew that you purchase for your dog so that you are aware of the potential hazards.
“NON-EDIBLE CHEW PRODUCTS are made with plastic, rubber, or nylon. They are NOT intended for consumption. During normal chewing, tiny bristle-like projections are raised that help clean teeth. If these tiny pieces (no larger than a small grain of rice) are ingested, they should pass through. A dog should not be able to break off larger pieces of any Nylabone® Non-Edible Chew. If you think that your dog swallowed a large piece of a Non-Edible Chew, take the chew away and contact your veterinarian for advice. No dog toy or chew is totally indestructible. Frequently inspect any chew before giving it to your dog to make sure it’s whole and intact, with no missing pieces. Replace a Non-Edible Chew when knuckle ends are worn down, or if it becomes too small to chew safely. Nylabone Chews and Toys should not be boiled, placed in a dishwasher, washing machine, or convection or microwave oven.”
Help! My Dog Ate Part of a Nylabone! What Do I Do?
If your dog has eaten part of a Nylabone, you need to go to the vet immediately! The components of a these bones are very difficult for your dog to digest and can cause many problems, not only to your pup’s health but also to your bank account. It’s important to watch your dog and check his toys each time before giving them to him to make sure the toys are still in good condition and that there aren’t any pieces missing. If your dog swallows a large piece of Nylabone or other chew toy you may have to get an x-ray, have him stay overnight at the vet’s, have him undergo expensive emergency surgery or worse.
In the extreme case, where play time turns into an accident, you may want to be prepared with pet insurance to avoid paying hundreds or even thousands of dollars in vet bills. This way you can focus your attention on helping your dog instead of worrying about how you are going to pay for everything.
Are Nylabones Safe For Dogs?
There are many things you’ll want to know about Nylabone safety before purchasing a treat or toy. If you keep in mind these simple safety checks, then your dog should be able to enjoy these chew toys safely.
What Size of Nylabone Should I Get?
Nylabones come in different sizes so make sure you are purchasing the correct size for your pup. You don’t want to get a Nyla Bone made for a puppy and give it to your 90 pound Labrador Retriever. She’ll have that thing torn up so fast that you’ll be on your way to the vet immediately!
When Should I Replace My Dog’s Nylabone?
You should replace your dog’s non-edible Nylabone chew when the knuckle ends are worn down or if it becomes too small to chew safely (if it is so small if could be swallowed by your pup, throw it out).
Can Puppies Have Nylabone Edible Chews?
Nylabone edible chews are best for dogs with permanent teeth. We recommend you talk to your veterinarian before giving a new type of chew toy or treat.
What is Your Dog’s Chewing Strength and Style?
There are also different types of Nylabones available for different chewing strengths and styles. So make sure you know your pup and know what style you should get. You can always address your concerns with your vet, and see what they think would be best.